Did you know that approximately one in ten men experience difficulties with sex?
Any man can be affected by sexual dysfunction and such problems become more common with age.
What sexual problems affect men?
Erectile dysfunction:- Inability to achieve or maintain an erection suitable for intercourse.
- Causes may be physical or psychological.
- Physical causes: hardening of arteries affecting blood flow, diabetes, other nerve disorders eg Multiple sclerosis, raised blood pressure, physical injury to the penis or scar tissue in the penis (Peyronie’s disease), alcohol, smoking, drug misuse and side effects of certain medications.
- Psychological issues: stress , anxiety, depression
Premature ejaculation:-When a man ejaculates sooner than he wants during or before penetration
- The most common male sexual problem
- Usually due to nervousness over sexual performance or other psychological factors
Inhibited or retarded ejaculation:- Slow to ejaculate
- Usually psychological factors
Retrograde ejaculation:-Where the ejaculation goes into the bladder instead of out of the penis
- Possible causes: diabetes , consequence of surgery for bladder or prostate
Loss of libido:- A decrease in desire for or interest in sex
- Possible causes: Diabetes, low testosterone levels, raised blood pressure, certain medications, relationship problems, stress, anxiety, previous sexual trauma
So what’s the good news?
- Fortunately most cases of sexual dysfunction are treatable
How can Roseneath Medical Practice help you?
Dr Soori conducts confidential sexual health assessments which include a history of symptoms, physical examination and tests with same day results, to look for possible causes. Once complete, certain treatments are also available from the surgery or if required a swift referral to a recommended therapist or hospital specialist.