Did you know that approximately one in ten men experience difficulties with sex?
Any man can be affected by sexual dysfunction and such problems become more common with age.
What sexual problems affect men?
Erectile dysfunction:- Inability to achieve or maintain an erection suitable for intercourse.
- Causes may be physical or psychological.
- Physical causes: hardening of arteries affecting blood flow, diabetes, other nerve disorders eg Multiple sclerosis, raised blood pressure, physical injury to the penis or scar tissue in the penis (Peyronie’s disease), alcohol, smoking, drug misuse and side effects of certain medications.
- Psychological issues: stress , anxiety, depression
Premature ejaculation:-When a man ejaculates sooner than he wants during or before penetration
- The most common male sexual problem
- Usually due to nervousness over sexual performance or other psychological factors
Inhibited or retarded ejaculation:- Slow to ejaculate
- Usually psychological factors
Retrograde ejaculation:-Where the ejaculation goes into the bladder instead of out of the penis
- Possible causes: diabetes , consequence of surgery for bladder or prostate
Loss of libido:- A decrease in desire for or interest in sex
- Possible causes: Diabetes, low testosterone levels, raised blood pressure, certain medications, relationship problems, stress, anxiety, previous sexual trauma
So what’s the good news?
- Fortunately most cases of sexual dysfunction are treatable
How can Roseneath Medical Practice help you?
Dr Soori conducts confidential sexual health assessments which include a history of symptoms, physical examination and tests with same day results, to look for possible causes. Once complete, certain treatments are also available from the surgery or if required a swift referral to a recommended therapist or hospital specialist.
Dr Sumi Soori is a doctor in a million. She combines compassion and empathy with acuity and total professionalism, and has seen, and is continuing to see, me through a very challenging time. Dr Soori is totally committed to her patients and goes way above and beyond what might be expected of her. I feel so fortunate to have found her, and have no hesitation in recommending Dr Soori and her team to anyone and everyone.
Did you know that women over 50 years of age are at an increased risk of heart disease and certain cancers?
- The hormonal changes that occur during the menopause cause a rise in cholesterol levels. The metabolism also slows down during this time, causing weight gain and increasing cardiovascular risk further.
How you can help:
- Focus on healthy diet and lifestyle ( stay active, eat healthily, maintain a healthy weight, reduce stress, avoid too much alcohol, don’t smoke)
- Take part in regular health screening- body mass index check, blood pressure screening, cholesterol and diabetes screening, baseline electrocardiogram, ten year cardiovascular risk assessment
- Cancer becomes more common after the age of fifty, especially breast cancer, lung cancer, bowel cancer and gynaecological cancers (womb, cervical, ovarian)
How you can help:
- Regular breast self- examination and mammogram screening every three years; colorectal cancer screening through stool sample plus possible sigmoidoscopy or colonoscopy; gynaecological cancer screening via cervical smear and HPV infection test every five years from 50 years age, regular pelvic examinations plus possible tumour marker testing and pelvic scan
At Roseneath Medical Practice we believe that health promotion and disease prevention are key to living a long, healthy life. To help you achieve this, for women over the age of fifty, our practice offers a variety of health assessments and screening tests, all with same day results.
The team here has been invaluable to me recently, and in particular Dr Soori, who has provided a level of care and support I have never quite encountered before here in London. Her follow up and aftercare is outstanding and certainly worth paying for. We will, without a doubt, be returning to the practice in future. – Jacinta Kerr
You may not realise your blood pressure, sugar or cholesterol levels are raised, until you have them checked.
Often these conditions do not have noticeable symptoms, or only do so when the levels are very high. At Roseneath Medical Practice we want to help you reduce your risk of developing heart disease. Prevention is key….
Roseneath’s new Healthy Heart assessment package includes:
- GP consultation ( discussion of diet and lifestyle, assessment of 10 year cardiovascular risk, weight loss and smoking cessation help)
- Fasting blood test (including cholesterol and glucose)
- Blood pressure evaluation
For more information or to book an appointment call our Reception on 020 8940 9955